[WABlist] Re: WAB v. Hail Caesar, which should I push?

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

 

I would definitely be up for that. Let me know how I can help get this going. The phone number at our store is 626-304-9333. Also, if any of you in the LA area would be willing to come down and walk me through a game of WAB 2.0, I would gladly buy you a beer and lunch at Lucky Baldwin's across the street from the store(an excellent British pub mentioned a lot on Big Bank Theory). Call me at the above number if you're interested.
Chuck

--- In WABlist@yahoogroups.com, Ilan Mitchell-Smith <imitchellsmith@...> wrote:
>
> Hey Chuck and Tony (and Paul?),
>
> Maybe Chuck would be up for some kind of big 5th-century thing? I think
> that is a period that a lot of us paint in, and so we could put on a nice
> big event. Maybe a two-table connected battle set in late Rome and then a
> one-table skirmish game using the Mordheim rules? 10-man units of Late
> Romans and 15-man units of Romano-Gaulic townspeople versus clans of
> raiding Ostrogoths, Huns, etc,? Or, we could challenge some Fantasy
> players to a one-day fight between "Empire" and Late Romans Empire?
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Tony <richrodg@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hey Chuck
> >
> > Tony from San Diego. I have played HC a few times but I still think that
> > Wab is a better game.And with AoA.2 I like most of how the lists turned out.
> >
> > I also have CoA and just got War & Conquest and both of them are just Wab
> > with a few things added or changed a bit.
> >
> > Chuck I would be glad to come up to your store sometime and DEmo a game of
> > Wab.
> >
> > Thanks Tony
> >
> > --- In WABlist@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <chaz.robbins@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I own Game Empire in Pasadena, California. Years ago, before I opened my
> > store, I was an avid WAB player and I had the pleasure of gaming with Jeff
> > Jonas and Allen Curtis. WAB 2.0 came out after I opened my store. When I
> > first heard about it, I was ecstatic because I heard it would deal with a
> > number of the problems we had encountered in the first edition. But my
> > heart sank when I heard that the only way to get the new rulebook would be
> > direct from Warhammer Historicals. It would not be available at wholesale
> > for stores to carry.
> > >
> > > Since it was not a product I could carry, I simply moved on a played
> > other games that I could actually sell (WH40K, WHFB, and Flames of War). My
> > trusty EIR army has been sitting on a display shelf unused for over 5 years.
> > >
> > > Recently, one of my customers and best gaming buddies brought in Hail
> > Caesar. We just played our first learning game today, and it seems to work
> > all right. But a LOT of people stopped to watch our game and asked if we
> > would be carrying the game (the funny part is that my EIR played against my
> > High Elves that had suddenly become barbaric!). There is definitely a lot
> > of untapped potential for Ancient miniatures gaming in my store. But it has
> > to be something that works within my business model.
> > >
> > > So here's the question. For me, Ancients is a "pet game", which means
> > it's something I will play even if I can't make much money on it. I have to
> > be careful because I can't afford to divert to much attention away from GW
> > and/or Warmachine/Hordes. I've recently hooked up with a distributor that
> > does a decent job of stocking Warlord miniatures, so I may be able to carry
> > this and make some money.
> > >
> > > In your opinion, simply as a game system, which system is better and
> > why? If I believe that WAB 2.0 is better, then I'll bite the bullet and get
> > the rulebooks, and simply sell them at cost to ensure that ancients will
> > work in my store. I will try to make money by selling the miniatures. My
> > right brain wants WAB to be better because I already know how to play and I
> > have a lot of great memories. My left brain wants HC to be better because
> > it fits my business needs more.
> > >
> > > I'm not trying to start a fight or anything. I'm just asking because I
> > don't want to waste my time and money - and especially my credibility -
> > getting everyone interested in Hail Caesar, and then change systems on them
> > later if I think WAB 2.0 is better (or vice versa).
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chuck
> > > GAME EMPIRE PASADENA
> > > www.gameempirepasadena.com
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Community email addresses:
  Post message: WABlist@yahoogroups.com
  Subscribe:    WABlist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
  Unsubscribe:  WABlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
  List owner:   WABlist-owner@yahoo.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
  http://www.yahoo.com/community/WABlist
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment