[RPG_Player_Sanctuary] Personal Copyrights on Canon Material

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

 

I saw an ad for a game in which the poster claims a copyright from this
year on a canon world that would be challenged if the original copyright
holder were to be made aware of. The original copyrighter would win too as
he has more money than the gods.

I run a fairly popular game set in the ths Ultimate Marvel Universe
(Marvel-1610). I don't make the brazen claim that the game is copyrighted
as it's based on a canon world with exclusively canon characters. For me do
claim a copyright would be incredibly stupid. Even if there were original
characters within it. The canon setting isn't my own.

Even authors who write books based on canon settings must get permission to
publish their work and give a portion of the proceeds of the book to the
original copyright holder. This concept is called "licensing". Unless it's
a "spec script" used in a pitch, but I _HIGHLY_ doubt any canon based game
on Yahoo is a spec project.

I am a writer in the writer's guild and before I sell a screenplay based on
a work that isn't mine, I must have the license to do so. These licenses
are incredibly expensive and incredibly difficult acquire. Furthermore, as
a professional writer, I find the hubris of claiming a copyright on
material you don't own to be beyond offensive. I also find it to be
borderline retarded.

If you've created your own world and characters and you put it on Yahoo,
guess what? You cannot claim a copyright either. Based on what I know, the
Yahoo Groups terms of service make claim to material used in groups. I may
be wrong about that, but I doubt it.

So please, don't insult our intelligence and belittle your own by claiming
a copyright on your game on here-especially if you want to be taken
seriously.
oh, and don't get me started on the so-called "poor man's copyright". In
short, it doesn't exist any anyone who claims to have one has revealed
themselves to be a moron.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To Post message, email RPG_Player_Sanctuary@yahoogroups.com,
To Unsubscribe, email RPG_Player_Sanctuary-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com,
To contact list owner, email RPG_Player_Sanctuary-owner@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment